LED Display Rental Guide – Everything You Need to Know
Not ready to request a quote? Continue reading to learn everything you need to know about the tech terms, pricing, event applications, and how to get the most out of your LED wall rental company.
What is an LED Display?
An LED display is a flat panel display that uses light emitting diodes (LED) as the light source. This is in contrast to LCD which typically uses cold cathode fluorescent lamps (this is a simplification, if you’re really itching for an in-depth look at LED vs LCD, check out this article) The most important takeaway from LED display is that it is the most efficient, brightest shining, and fastest growing display technology!
What is an LED video wall?
An LED display wall (also referred to as jumbotrons, video walls, and LED screens) is a collection of multiple LED panels linked together to form 1 large, seamless image. When you see the jumbotrons and video screens that are much larger than a TV for a home entertainment system, then it is likely a video wall. They are used to create massive displays and require special hardware and software to link the panels together. Their customization opportunities make them great for creating any size or shape!
*Image of individual LED display panels before they are linked together to form an LED video wall
* This excludes outdoor TV’s. ** Measured as IP rating *** Measured as pixel pitch
As illustrated above, an LED wall is simply many individual LED panels linked together to form a larger display. The panels are specialized to communicate with each other when linked together. Special LED processing software and hardware then maps these panels to be treated as one large, seamless LED display. The main reason for the modular nature of jumbotrons is the transportability. It would be near impossible to transport a 30 ft by 20 ft LED display in one piece, with the exception of mobile video walls.
Mobile Vs. Modular
Not all LED display walls are created equal. They come in varying resolutions, display brightness, durability ratings, and structures. If you want to learn about the nitty gritty of different LED product tech specs, check out our LED Academy. One big differentiation for LED display walls is their structure. They can be broken down into 2 main structure types:
Modular LED display walls are LED screens that are transported onsite as individual panels in flight cases, constructed temporarily onsite using aluminum trussing, then torn down after the activation. Benefits of modular LED panel rental include a clean look, and customization options.
*image of an outdoor modular LED display wall
Mobile LED walls are LED display walls that are permanently constructed onto a mobile vehicle, such as on a truck or trailer. Mobile LED rental poses a number of benefits, including a cheaper rental rate, faster setup, adjustable screen height, and location flexibility. Learn more on our post: 5 Benefits of a Mobile LED System.
*image of a mobile LED screen trailer
Is Jumbotron Rental Right for You?
LED display is a great way to entertain, engage, inform your audience, and generate revenue with sponsor advertisements. Types of events that benefit from renting LED video walls include concerts, festivals, sporting events, movies at the park, fundraisers, political and activism events, tailgates, watch parties, and more. Typical clients are experiential marketing companies, event planners, show coordinators, production companies, and cities/municipalities. If you are considering renting an LED wall, there are several questions you want to ask yourself.
Things to Consider When Deciding to Rent LED
- Crowd Size – Due to the large nature of LED video boards, they are typically for large gatherings of 100 or more people. If you have a more intimate setting, a standard TV may be a more cost-effective route.
- Display Size – Video walls typically are not any smaller than 12 feet by 7 feet. So if you are looking for something smaller, a TV may make more sense.
- Budget – Renting an LED video screen can range from $3,000 a day to $50,000+. Based on your budget, you may want to consider all options. To learn more about pricing, check out our article- LED Video Wall Rental Pricing Revealed
- Indoor or Outdoor – LED displays are a perfect solution for outdoor events due to their ability to shine extremely bright and be visible under direct sunlight. Outdoor LED screens are also rated to withstand heavy rain, wind, and dust. For an indoor event, depending on the application, you may be able to get away with renting a projection screen. Indoor LED does exist however, and is very popular for trade shows, sporting events, etc.
Bottom Line: If you are hosting an event with a large crowd that requires a large display or outdoor viewing, and you have a budget of $3,000 or more, renting an LED display may be the perfect option for you to up the ante at your next event!